Monday, October 25, 2010

Things that go bump in the night

Here is some of the local wildlife we have seen. Some of it by the roadside. I am trying to identify it with the help of a costa rican wildlife sheet...
Still not sure what to call these - white nosed coyote I think.

These hummingbirds were hanging around while I was trying to eat a hamburger.

Blue Crowned Motmot - This morning I was woken by a squirrel on my roof, I think, so went out to see what was around. This was behind our cabin and allowed me a photoshoot.

Not sure which beetle, there are 100s of thousands here though.
Cane Toad - outside the golden toad hotel.
a flower.

We cheated and went to an insect farm to see these...

Preying Mantis

Blue Morpho

On a different note here is the bar of the Tabacon Springs Hotel, where we had dinner the other night, after bathing in the geothermally heated river flowing through the grounds which are under the Arenal Volcano. very plush.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

The "coyotes" are Coati, relatives of racoons:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coati